Monday 28 January 2013

Monkey Pirates pt.2

Once the linework is sorted I start adding in the background. Using the gradient tool I add in a sky and paint in some clouds - going over my previous cloud lines.


But what has been missing from this illustration from the start? That's right, the sea!


I use the brush tool to add in some waves and slap on a quick water texture. I don't always start with the background, sometimes I might start with one of the characters in the scene. However, I find it best to at least lay some colour down so that when it comes to colouring the characters I can see what I'm doing. Especially if I'm using white!

After that it's onto laying some flat colours down for the rest of the scene - again sometimes I might focus on just one character. Completely colouring them and adding shadows etc. But for now I'm starting with the ship.


Now colouring is always a hard one, the best way to get it right is to experiment. Don't just go for the usual colours. My trick is to open other work I've done and use similar colours. My last two illustrations have involved boats so I just used the same colours.


Once I'm happy with the colours I start adding shadows and areas of light. I start adding in other bits of details such as markings on the boat. I don't worry about wobbly lines here and think it adds something extra. Now most people will probably colour the whole thing first and then add in the shadows. I like to see it taking shape early on! 

So that's the ship done for now. That doesn't mean I won't decide to add in things or change things I've already done later on though! Next it's onto colouring the characters and adding in textures.


No comments:

Post a Comment